Pea protein powder is typically made from yellow split peas, which are dried, dehulled, and then ground into a fine powder. The process of making pea protein powder typically involves the following steps:
- Pea selection: The first step is to select high-quality yellow split peas that are free from contaminants and impurities.
- Grinding: The split peas are then ground into a fine powder. This process is typically done using a hammer mill or roller mill.
- Extraction: The pea powder is then mixed with water to form a slurry. The protein is then extracted from the slurry using various techniques, such as ultrafiltration, precipitation, or centrifugation. This results in a concentrated protein solution.
- Drying: The concentrated protein solution is then dried using various techniques, such as spray drying or drum drying, to remove any remaining moisture.
- Packaging: The final step is to package the pea protein powder in airtight containers to preserve its quality and prevent contamination.
It's important to note that the process of making pea protein powder can vary depending on the specific brand and product, as well as the methods of extraction and processing. Some pea protein powders may also contain additional ingredients such as sweeteners, flavorings, or vitamins and minerals.